Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgery
Maxillofacial surgery is a synthetic specialty that integrates therapeutic and surgical methods of Surgery, Stomatology, Neurosurgery, ENT, Ophthalmology.
Maxillofacial Surgery Unit of Tokuda Hospital Sofia has a highly specialized team, the most modern and high-tech facilities for diagnosis and surgical treatment.
The unit works closely with one of the leading schools of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Paris and with the world famous surgeon Dr. Darina Krastinova with option for consulting complex medical cases via video-conferencing.
Maxillofacial Surgery Unit in Tokuda Hospital Sofia works in all areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery.
Sections of maxillofacial surgery. Diagnosed and treated conditions
Reconstructive, Plastic and Aesthetic Maxillofacial Surgery
One of the priority directions of the Maxillofacial Surgery Unit in Tokuda Hospital Sofia is reconstructive, Plastic and Aesthetic Maxillofacial Surgery
Reconstructive maxillofacial surgery restores deformed or completely lost organs and tissues of the face and neck after traumatic injuries of soft tissues and bone structures as a result of congenital diseases, tumor processes, traumatic injuries, domestic trauma, burns or surgery interventions.
In plastic-reconstructive surgery besides traditional reconstruction (with tissues adjacent to the defect, plastic with various figures, free transfer of skin and bone, etc.) the most modern methods of microvascular transfer and transplantation are used. Operations include procurement of tissues from the patient (bone, muscle, skin, etc.) and their transfer in the maxillofacial area.
Special attention is paid to the extremely complicated reconstruction of the upper facial segment and in particular of bone orbits.
The methods and procedures include:
- Rhinoplasty (nose correction)
- Mentoplasty (Chin surgery)
- Microvascular reconstruction and transplantation
- Distraction osteogenesis
- Maxillofacial Prosthetics (anaplastology)
Face reconstructive surgery
- Congenital defects of the face (soft tissue, jaw bones, orbital bone)
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery defects after injuries or surgery on the occasion of tumor diseases
- Congenital malformations
Congenital craniofacial malformations.
- Craniosynostosis: V-shaped skull (trigonocephaly), scaphoid skull (scaphocephaly), short skull (brachycephaly), изкривен череп (plagiocephaly); syndromic craniosynostosis (the syndrom of Crouzon, Apert, Pfeiffer, Jackson Weiss, Saether-Chotzen и Carpenter).
- Otocraniostenosis (hemifacial microsomia, otomandibular syndrome, Goldenhar syndrome, Syndromes of the First and Second Branchial Arches)
- Facial hyperplasia
Surgical treatment of congenital craniofacial malformations is multistaged. There is a major surgery with subsequent reconstructive interventions.
Aesthetic surgery of the face
Aesthetic surgery of the face is mostly used for corrections of the effects of aging and aesthetic corrections of individual parts of the face:
Face lifting (rhytidectomy)
Mentoplasty (Chin correction)
Face sculpting with lipofilling (with person's own fat tissue)
Cosmetic facial injections (Botox, chemical peels, etc.)
Surgical treatment of congenital and acquired defects in the maxillofacial area
Surgical treatment of tumors of the maxillofacial area
Surgical treatment of oncological diseases in the maxillofacial area covers benign and malignant formations of soft tissue and bone structures of the face, tongue, salivary glands, orbital area and neck.
The most modern and advanced methods for surgical treatment of benign and malignant tumors in the maxillofacial area and neck:
- Tumors of the skin (lips, eyelids, etc.).
- Tumors of the facial bones and jaws
- Tumors of the tongue
- Tumors of the neck
- Tumors of the salivary glands
· Tumor formations
- Benign tumors
- Epithelioma, papilloma, fibroma, myoma, neurinoma, lymphangioma, adenoma, hemangioma, nevus
- Malignant tumors
- Malignant melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma (of the skin), adenolymphoma (lymph nodes), squamous cell carcinomas of the oral cavity (mucosa), connective tissue tumors, tumors of the salivary glands, odontogenic tumors (teeth)
Surgical treatment of injuries of the maxillofacial area
Surgical treatment of injuries of the maxillofacial area covers soft tissues and bone structures damages in the maxillofacial area.
The unit has a full range of last generation special consumables (titanium miniplates and screws) for the treatment of fractures of the facial bones and jaws.
Traumatic diseases in the maxillofacial area
- Soft tissues injuries - from abrasions and bruising to tissues loss
- Fractures of the jaw and facial bones
Surgical treatment of inflammatory diseases in maxillofacial area
It includes surgical interventions in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the face, neck, oral cavity, sinuses, jaws, lymph nodes, etc. The most common causes of inflammation are dental infections, infections of the mucous, the skin, etc.
Inflammatory diseases in maxillofacial area
- In dental infections
- Mucosal inflammation
- Infections caused by jaw cysts
- Infections in skin inflammations
- Infections in paranasal sinuses inflammation
- Infections in inflammation of the salivary glands and lymph
Other diseases in the maxillofacial area
Diseases of the salivary glands
- Inflammation of the salivary glands
- Viral diseases
Diseases of the mandibular joints
- Injuries, partial dislocation and dislocation
Dr. Radoslav Slavchev - Head of Maxillofacial Surgery
Dr. Radoslav Slavchev is a specialist in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Has a Master degree in Health Management.
Dr.Slavchev is one of the founders of Tokuda Hospital Sofia - in December 2006 founded the Department of Maxillofacial and plastic surgery.
Graduated from Medical University in Plovdiv in 1987. His first specialty in Dentistry Dr.Slavchev received in 1990 in Medical University of Sofia. In 2000 he defended his second specialty in maxillofacial surgery in Medical University of Sofia.
From 1987 to 2006 he passed through numerous specializations in the country and abroad:
- 1987 г. - Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Military Medical Academy - Sofia
- 1990 г. - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Clinic, Medical Academy - Sofia
- 1994 г. - Maxillofacial Surgery in the Neurosurgery Clinic, Pirogov - Sofia
- 1994–1999 - Specialization in Maxillofacial Surgery in the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental Faculty of Medical University - Plovdiv.
- 1999–2000 - France, Paris - specialization in plastic, reconstructive and craniofacial surgery at the hospital "Foch" in the team of Dr. D. Krastinova
- 2000 – Nice, France - High level master-classes in surgical anatomy, Dr. Krastinova Prof. Santini
- 2000-2001 г. - Innsbruck, Austria, "University Hospital Prince Leopold" - specialization in maxillofacial, reconstructive surgery in the team of prof. Valdhart.
- 2002-2005 – Paris, France - additional courses for training in plastic, reconstructive and craniofacial surgery in the team of Dr. Krastinova
- 2006 г. – Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Kamakura) - specialization in the hospitals of Tokuchukai Medical Corporation
- His professional career started in the Stara Zagora, Bulgaria in 1987.
- From 1989 to 1994 he worked in dental surgery at the Medical University, Stara Zagora.
- In 1994 is a Head of the Maxillofacial Surgery sector at University Hospital, Trakia University, Stara Zagora.
- After the competition in 1996 was elected as a regular assistant at the Department of General surgery in Trakya University, and subsequently was elected as a senior assistant.
- From 2001 to 2006 - Head of Maxillofacial Surgery Sector of Neurosurgery Clinic at the Trakya University.
- Since 2006 has been a Head of Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgery Department in Tokuda Hospital Sofia.
Scientific Organization Memberships:
- European Association for Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery
- The association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons in Bulgaria
Author of over 20 publications in Bulgarian and foreign scientific journals. Lecturer and participant in many Bulgarian, European and world forums and congresses in the field of maxillofacial, cranio-maxillo-facial surgery.
tel.: +359 884 933 120, +359 888 26 15 79
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Anton Yordanov Zhorov, MD
Leading specialist in orthognathic and reconstructive surgery in Bulgaria.
Graduated from Medical University in Sofia in 1982. Acquired specialties in General Dentistry, Surgical Dentistry and Maxillofacial Surgery.
He specialized in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Military Medical Academy of Sofia under the direction of Prof. N. Georgiev, and concerning orthognathic problems and microvascular surgery at the Military Hospital in Prague under the direction of prof. Nemeth and in Havana in the National surgical center "Brothers Ameheras" with prof. Kruanyas.
Passed courses in anesthesiology and intensive care, implantology, microvascular, orthognathic and craniofacial surgery.
In 2005 defended his dissertation and acquired educational and scientific PhD degree. Since 2008 has a habilitation as an associate professor.
До 1987 г. работи по разпределение в гр. Долна баня. След конкурс през 1987 г. е избран за асистент в Катедра Орална и Лицево-Челюстна Хирургия на МУ София, където работи до 2008 г. От 2008 до 2012 г. завежда диагностично-лечебната дейност на „СБАЛ по Лицево-челюстна хирургия”– Университетска болница, София. От 2012 до 2013 г. е доцент към Военно-медицинска академия, София.
- За първи път в България извършва успешни васкуларизирани трансплантации от илиачна кост чрез микрохирургична техника за реконструкция на долна челюст.
- Въвежда у нас сагиталната остеотомия по Epker и транскутанната мандибуларна остеосинтеза.
- За първи път в България възстановява значими мандибуларни дефекти чрез дистракционна остеогенеза.
- Въвежда у нас артропластиката чрез костохондрален трансплантат със запазен растежен център при лечението на анкилоза и създава метод за артропластика на ТМС с коронарен израстък.
- За първи път в България използва интраосални импланти за задържане на силиконови епитези при значими лицеви дефекти.
- Използва дистракционна остеогенеза при реконструкции на средния лицев етаж.
Professional Organizations Memberships:
- Председател е на Сдружение на оралните и лицево – челюстни хирурзи в България
- Член на Борда на Балканската асоциация по лицево-челюстна хирургия
- Член на Европейската асоциация по черепно-челюстно-лицева хирургия
- Член на Световната асоциация по орална и лицево-челюстна хирургия
Автор на монография, 45 научни публикации, 2 рационализации и 18 доклада, представени на международни конгреси. Участва в написването на учебниците: "Лицево-челюстна и орална хирургия” и "Орална хирургия". Ръководил е следдипломната квалификация на лекари по специалностите: Орална хирургия и Лицево-челюстна хирургия. Има участие в създаването на "Медицински стандарт по Лицево-челюстна хирургия” в България, приет от МЗ.
В момента научните му интереси са насочени към реконструктивни операции при вродени и придобити деформации на скелетните структури в лицево-челюстната област.
51B "Nikola I. Vaptsarov" blvd. (if you drive, the entrance is from "At. Dukov" str.), "Hladilnika" distr., 1407 "Lozenets".
The hospital has a parking lot. The first 30 min. are free of charge, then a fee of 3 bgn/hours applies.
Buses: №88, 120
Shuttle bus: 32
Subway: Getting off at "James Bourchier" station, after that walking through "Lozenets" distr., or tram №10, taking off at "Nikola I. Vaptsarov" stop. or a bus №88, taking ff at "Tokuda Hospital" stop.
From the Central Railway Station
Bus line №305 getting off at "Romanian embassy" stop
From "Romanian embassy" stop – Bus line №120 getting off at "Tokuda Hospital" stop.
(after the traffic lights at "Atanas Dukov" str.
With a subway, from "Central Railway Station" station, getting off at "James Bourchier" station, after that walking through "Lozenets" distr., or tram №10, taking off at "Nikola I. Vaptsarov" stop. or a bus №88, taking ff at "Tokuda Hospital" stop.