Tokuda Hospital Sofia

 БГ EN  РУ

Acibadem City Clinic Tokuda Hospital has a modern office for diagnosis and treatment of vestibular and equilibrium disorders

28 april 2017

Vertigo is one of the most common complaints patients seek help for

A state-of-the-art otoneurology cabinet is available to patients of Acibadem City Clinic Tokuda Hospital who have complaints about the vestibular system. Accurate examinations of the vestibular functions performed at the office include but are not limited to functional and computer-based statokinetic and coordination tests, videonystagmography, experimental provocation studies – caloric and rotational.

Along with the precise diagnostics, the office offers vestibular rehabilitation – a set of multimedia procedures for tracking, rehabilitation and training in disorders of peripheral and central origin. Specialized repositioning techniques are used in positional vertigo, exercises in accelerating vestibular adaptation, stabilizing posture and gait, restoring static and dynamic equilibrium.

One of the most common complaints patients visit the Otoneurology office for is vertigo. It combines different sensations – from the illusion one is spinning in space to the feeling of sinking or rising. In addition, people call vertigo the condition when they are slightly dizzy or syncope (black out), even slight . To this condition they often count even the faltering.

“Although vertigo has different forms, about 60% of them are due to damage of the vestibular system or impairment of its function. The remaining 40% are the result of central nervous system disorders such as vascular ones, transient ones of cerebral blood flow, cerebral strokes, inflammatory diseases of the nervous tissue or inflammatory processes”, says Dr. Georgi Savov, an otoneurologist at the Clinic in Neurology at Acibadem City Clinic Tokuda Hospital. Vertigo can be both a harmless symptom and a serious illness signal. Therefore, it is advisable to seek specializes medical attention if you suffer dizziness.

Vestibular disorders often have unclear origin – in this case, they are called primary. If they are due to another disease – hormonal imbalance or infection, for example, they are called secondary. They are common among the elderly, because over the years they have accumulated disease causes leading to balance disorders.

Vestibular disorders are the most common type of vertigo that occurs at bedtime, when bedridden or standing up. Most of these are assigned to the group of otolithic syndromes or so-called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. They are due to falling crystals (otoliths) or degenerated cells in some of the ear canals, Dr. Savov explained. These crystals lie on the membrane of the gravitational receptors in the ear. With age, such crystals, as well as dead cells, fall into the semi-circular channels. There is another type of receptors there providing information to the brainstem and eyeballs of a person at angular accelerations of the head. When the crystals fall into the groove under certain head movements, they shake the receptors there and a strong vertigo occurs. It is quite a common suffering, with up to 80% of people over the age of 80, says the otoneurologist. It exacerbates and improves spontaneously or with medication or by implementing physical methods.

Drug treatment includes ingestion of vestibule-suppressants and other medications, while physical therapy uses exercise programs to release the affected semi-circular channel, as well as exercises where a patient's brain adapts to suppress the information coming from the damaged vestibular system.

See more

News

Hospital location

51B Nikola Y. Vaptsarov Blvd., Sofia, 1407 (if you drive, the entrance is from Atanas Dukov str.)

The hospital has a parking lot for patients and visitors. The first 30 min. are free of charge, the first hour after that has a 3 BGN fee, and for every next hour a 2BGN/hrs. fee applies.
IMPORTANT! Have in mind that the parking lot is very busy Monday to Friday between 10.00 and 14.00. The hospital team will appreciate if those whose health condition allow, take the drop off option without parking or use other transport means or alternative parking lots in the area.

Public transport:
Buses: №88, 120

Metro lines: You can get off at James Bourchier or Vitosha metro station and walk to the hospital.

Map 

From the Central Railway Station

Bus: take bus #305 and get off at Romanian Embassy stop, then transfer to bus #120 to Tokuda Hospital stop.

Metro: Take metro line Nadezda-Lozenetz and get off either at James Bourchier or Vitosha metro station, then walk to the hospital.